research for design: final week

See my post from week 3 for context!

this week’s progress

I made a copy of my slide presentation so I could work on the feedback given while maintaining the original version for posterity. In the new presentation, I modified and expanded my secondary research summary, to go a little bit more in depth into the most significant highlights I learned. I synthesized my five interviewees into three personas — giving them new names and more detail around their background, but keeping the same pictures since those were fictional to begin with. I also synthesized my survey results, moving my habit outlook gallery onto a post of its own but keeping a preview of it in the presentation. Lastly, I outlined the goals of my intervention and started prototyping it.

For the prototype, I did some competitor research — looking back, I should have taken notes to add to the slides. The last time I’d looked into habit tracking apps (years ago), I was underwhelmed with the options. Today, there are a lot more options, though as usual, features are very limited unless you pay. Without a budget and a lot of time to truly explore these apps, I had to stick to general impressions. My biggest takeaway is that the best habit tracking apps out there lean a lot on statistics, but not much else. There is a focus to keeping it minimal, but to me it can become a little cold and detached. I already knew I wanted my intervention to focus on learning and inspiring, but this highlighted that for me. I was inspired by Headspace, a mindfulness app with guided meditations and wellness courses (just to name a few features). So I thought my app could blend a habit tracker with the Headspace ethos — a gentle tool, nurturing knowledge while nudging you into your desired habits.

I divided the app into three main areas (learn, plan, and track) which a user can navigate in a seamless loop. Using Adobe XD, I made two screens for each area — the main landing page plus a detail page. It is a rough prototype with a lot of detail missing, but I’m satisfied with the overall look of it — my design goal was to be both soothing and focused, and I’m happy with the results. If I had more time, I would continue researching, prototyping, and start user testing (and then iterating from there). But given the time crunch for this project, I’m very pleased with the rough concept and how much I’ve learned in these few weeks — the topic is near and dear to my heart, and this is a product I would genuinely love to use.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s