week 8

reflections

This week I spent most of my time refining my drafts, both in small and big ways. Across the three deliverables, I came up with a more consistent image treatment — using a gradient map between my teal and beige to create a duotone effect, with the help of this Adobe tutorial. Before, I’d used Color Dodge and Screen/Multiply blending modes for each color layer, but the gradient map is a lot easier and creates a sleeker look without color distortion (it takes the darkest and lightest points of the image and maps them as teal and beige respectively, so the process happens all at once). 

For my poster, I’d gotten feedback regarding the line spacing in the body text, the kerning and chunking of the header text, and the color palette (trying to find ways to make it more cohesive, maybe by bringing the teal into the header text somehow). I tried to act on all of those points — I tweaked the spacing and weights of the body text, bolding the speakers’ names, which I think helps create more visual distinction between each presentation. I went back to my logo to justify it, reducing the kerning between the letters in “Invisible” and increasing both kerning and point size of the letters in “Designs.” This in particular seemed like a really small change, but once I actually saw it, the effect was a lot more noticeable than I’d expect. I also used a light version of the teal for the fine print text — I’m not 100% convinced it works better that way (and maybe I’m overthinking it!), but it was my best attempt at incorporating the teal. 

Since we didn’t devote much time last week to the article spreads, I didn’t make many edits to this one. I moved my caption around on the second spread and added another quote in order to break the text a little more and create some more movement. I played around with the body text settings too, making my font slightly bigger and playing around with different hyphenation settings. I did also try out left-alignment, but decided to stay on justified because I’m a fan of the strong lines it creates on both sides of the columns. I didn’t notice any particularly egregious “rivers” of space, probably thanks to the hyphenation settings, so I’m pretty satisfied with the look of it. Since this is a small-sized spread, I erred on the side of caution in terms of graphical elements; I didn’t want to add too much and make it busy or hard to follow. 

For the website, I tweaked my first screen (updating the logo and image as well as changing the body text size and alignment) and then made the two following ones. Since I’m imagining this as a single-page website, with each menu acting as an anchor link to headings, I wanted to keep the basic structure consistent. As the user scrolls from the “About” section towards “Itinerary,” the header will resize to take up less space, and the image will change. The “Speakers” section will show 4 speakers at a time, also changing the headshot collage as you scroll down. I think creating these screens really helped the website come to life, so I’m happy with how it’s turning out so far. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s